Gwong Song, the deputy chairman of Riyom Local Government Area, Plateau State has called for help for the over 707 indigenes of Ganawuri displaced by the terror attack in Woro community, Kaima Local Government Area of Kwara State
The brutal attack on Woro and neighbouring villages on February 3, this year, left over 160 people dead, homes and shops burnt, and dozens abducted by gunmen.
It was gathered that several people from the Aten community in Ganawuri had travelled to Kwara State to either farm or engage in other commercial activities when the incident occurred.
Read also: Senate condemns massacre of 56 people in Niger
Song, also an indigene of Ganawuri, told reporters on Tuesday in Jos that “Seven hundred and seven persons from the attack are still displaced, in Kwara State or en route, home with some stranded without proper assistance*.
The Aten community lost over 20 members in the killings, deepening the grief across the ethnic group. So far, 200 individuals have returned home to Woro.
“Those who returned are not in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPS) camps but are staying with relatives, loved ones and family members who have provided shelter and support amid the destruction.
“Riyom Local Government has intervened by approving about N3 million to provide vehicles and cover transportation costs for safer returns of those displaced.
“We would be meeting with those displaced soon as we plan more aid, security and rehabilitation for returnees, he added
The deputy Chairman also said that four members of their community were injured in the attack and receiving treatment in Kwara while about 10 others are still held captive by the gunmen.
The community had last Thursday held a special Remembrance Day in honour of the dead.
